Friday, December 17, 2010

Spartan "300" home workout challenge


Spartan 300 challenge
25 pull ups
50 pistol squats (25 each leg)
50 push ups
50 split jumps (L/R=1 )
50 toes to bar
50 reverse burpees
25 chin ups

I came across this link today for a race called the Spartan death race. A crazy 3 mile or 8 mile gauntlet type of race. Looked really interesting. I found some interesting videos on youtube about the race as well. After checking out those videos I came across some old videos of the "300" workout. A workout put together by Mark Twight at Gym Jones in Salt Lake City. Gym Jones is the place where the cast of the movie "300" trained to get ripped for the movie. The "300" workout is no joke. I have done it once or twice before a long time ago and I remembered how brutal it was. Well I decided to put together a little home workout version of this workout as described above.
I finished this version in 30 min and 44 secs. The first set of pull ups I managed unbroken. The pistol squats or single leg squats were brutal. I decided to do a full set of 25 on each leg before moving on to the next instead of alternating each leg. The left leg was a real struggle for me. Hard to do them and keep my heel on the ground. I kept loosing my balance on the way up as well. Not sure what the issue was there. I need more practice with these. The right side was much better. Faster and better technique. Push ups were unbroken. Then came the split jumps. Basically in a lunge position jump and switch your legs and land back in the lunge position. Left side then right side equaled 1 rep. The lactic acid built up really fast in my quads on these. I managed 17 then 15,10 and 8 before finishing. The toes to bar were not bad. I finished them in three sets. I think it was 25, 15, 10. The reverse burpees were awesome. I have never attempted a reverse burpee before. I loved them. Fun and challenging. This slowed me down more than I had expected. From lying on your back position you rock a hard sit up so you can come up to your feet. Stand up then do a hand stand. When you come back down just go to your feet and then back down tell you are lying on your back again. I really enjoyed them. I finished the chin ups in two sets.
A great home workout. I would really like to see someone finish this faster. 20 mins maybe. Try this "300" workout if you think you are spartan tough.


Here is a video explaining the actual 300 workout. Which you should also try if you are familiar with these lifts.


Here is a video of a couple of guys doing the reverse burpees. Fun exercise. Give them a try.


Here is a cool video of Mark Twight training the crew for the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment