Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Murph"


"Murph"

Run 1 mile
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
Run 1 mile

I have avoided this crossfit wod like it was the plague. Something about it just scared the hell out of me. Fortunately for me I have some seriously bad ass friends. One of whom had an impressive day with this wod. My friends fearlessness and impressive performance motivated me to give this wod a shot. What a way to start the new years off. Facing my fears and conquering Murph. Actually I am not at all sure who conquered who here. I finished in 57 min and 24 secs. After finishing I felt like I got hit by a Mack truck. I am going to be sore as hell tomorrow.
The first mile was ok for me. I finished in 8 min 04 sec. I decided to do this workout Angie style. Finishing each exercise before moving on to the next. The pull ups I did in five sets. 35/25/20/13/7 . My arms were toast after this. I decided to just plug away at the push ups 25 at a time until I finished. This took so much longer than I had anticipated. The squats were just insane. I did 80 on the first set hoping to get to 100. Just enough doubt creeped into my head to stop me at 80. I broke the rest up like this 50/50/40/30/25/25. The last mile was arguable one of the most difficult miles I have ever attempted to run. Nothing seemed to work on my body. Save for my brain just kept screaming at me to stop this nonsense. I finally finished with a 10 minute mile.
I am glad to have finally sucked it up a little and completed this workout. Next time I might try this with 20 rounds of cindy or 10 rounds of double cindy.
These longer endurance workouts are my Nemesis. I hate them but I know they are necessary. I feel so much better for having just finished something like this. Confidence is soaring starting the new year off right.
Read Lt. Michael Murphy's incredible story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment