Friday, July 16, 2010

19:36


Row 5K for a time
I tried something I have never done before. Row 5,000 meters for a time. The longest distance I have ever tried before this was only 2,000 meters. I finished with a time of 19 min 36 secs. I really have nothing to compare this time too. I know that going into it I expected this to be a huge mental challenge. Huge is an understatement. My strategy was to keep track of my progress 500 meters at a time. I wanted to keep each segment of 500 meters under the 2 min mark.
I managed this only barely. I think a couple of them were just slightly over by a few seconds. This work out required a ton of concentration. I needed to focus on technique to maximize each pull. As well as to keep my ass on the little seat. I needed to focus to make sure I did not slow down my pace. My grip started to bother me only after 2000 meters so the rest of the way my hands were completely pumped. I just figured this would be great accessory work for rock climbing. The last 500 meters were an all out sprint. At least that is what it felt like. It may not have looked that way. My goal was to finish under 20 mins. So the last 500 meters I was pulling hard to make sure I reached my goal.
I think overall I will chock this one up to a huge mental success. From this point forward on the rowing machine no other distance will compare.
Tomorrow I am meeting up with a friend to go out to Emerald bey to get in a great workout outside. I am really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment